Does Religious Toleration Exist?
I've been giving some thought to the concept of religious toleration and I'm not convinced that it really exists. In this post I'm going to express some of my thoughts on the matter. But first I ought to begin by attempting to provide an accurate definition of religion.
I think that when most people speak of religion they speak of organized institutions of religion. In other words, religion to most people is something that has outward attributes that can be clearly identified. It must have meeting places, ministerial officers, a clearly defined creed, and a distinctive label. Religions such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc., fall under this concept of religion, as do all of the various sectarians who claim to be adherents to them (e. g. Baptists, Presbyterians; Orthodox and Reformed Jews; Shia and Sunni Muslims, etc.)
But of what does a man's religion really consist? Is it reasonable to think of a religious person as only someone who belongs to an institution which bears the aforementioned attributes? What about people who don't belong to any "religious" organization, don't appear to have a fixed religious creed, and don't have a particular religious label that can be applied to them? And what about those who call themselves atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, undecided, non-religious, etc.? Do they have a religion?
I say that they do all have a religion. And I think they are all equally devout in their respective religions. It seems obvious to me that the essence of religion does not consist in externals, it consists of beliefs. It's absurd to think that a man has no religion just because he doesn't participate in the functions of an organized institution. Religion rightly defined is the total of all the beliefs that guide a man's actions. And no one has these beliefs to a greater or lesser extent than anyone else.
So there is not, and never will be, a man without a religion. Everyone has beliefs about God, the origin of the universe and all things therein, what is right and wrong, and man's purpose and destiny. These are the things which constitute a man's religion, and his beliefs concerning these things will guide his actions. Even if a man says that he does not believe that there is a God, does not believe that we can know how the universe came into being, does not believe that there is any right and wrong, and does not believe that there is any purpose to life, he cannot say that he does not have religious beliefs because these very things are his religious beliefs.
Of course, there are those who claim that their beliefs are based only on facts and things which can be proven. And an atheistic Darwinist, for example, would say that his beliefs are not religion but science. But this is a ridiculous claim because neither the existence nor the non-existence of God can be proven through scientific methods (and doesn't need to be). And concepts of right and wrong, which everyone has, cannot be reduced to mathematical formulas. Even the theory of evolution, because it is a belief about the origin of things, is a religious belief, regardless of the fact that those who hold the belief claim that it is backed up by science.
So everyone has religion and most would claim to be tolerant of other religions. But are they? I don't know. It seems to me that most people are only religiously tolerant to the extent that they must be. In fact, I have found that even those who claim to be champions of religious toleration are themselves quite intolerant. Take, for example, the website at religioustolerance.org If you read through several of their pages, it won't be long before you notice that there is an anti-Christian tone to the site. Of course, you won't find anything denouncing phony "liberal" Christians because the people behind the site are quite obviously humanists and the liberals are really only humanists with a pseudo-Christian veneer. But you will find much criticism of what they call "conservative" Christians (i. e. professing Bible-believers).
What these people really mean when they speak of religious toleration is that they will be tolerant of any religion as long as it remains subservient to their religion, which is humanism. As long as the religion of others is kept in a little compartment where it doesn't come into conflict with the humanists' concepts of right and wrong, and they are willing to make the morality expressed in their religion yield to the moral principles of the secularists, then they will be tolerated.
This is made obvious at religioustolerance.org from the treatment of the Christian Reconstruction movement, which advocates an eventual civil institution of the capital punishments contained in the law of Moses. Of this idea they seem quite intolerant. But how can one be intolerant of a certain set of religious beliefs while simultaneously claiming to advocate religious toleration? Perhaps they would answer that they must speak against those who advocate violence toward others. But in judging the capital punishments of the biblical law to be wrong and advocating that the institution of them be opposed, they show that they believe in religious toleration only as far as it agrees with their concepts of morality.
I'm not surprised that the heathens at religioustolerance.org are intolerant of anyone who takes a dogmatic view of the law of God. As A. W. Tozer said: "the most fervent devotees of tolerance are invariably intolerant of everyone who speaks about God with certainty." And I'm in doubt as to whether the religious toleration of which they speak even exists.
I think that when most people speak of religion they speak of organized institutions of religion. In other words, religion to most people is something that has outward attributes that can be clearly identified. It must have meeting places, ministerial officers, a clearly defined creed, and a distinctive label. Religions such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc., fall under this concept of religion, as do all of the various sectarians who claim to be adherents to them (e. g. Baptists, Presbyterians; Orthodox and Reformed Jews; Shia and Sunni Muslims, etc.)
But of what does a man's religion really consist? Is it reasonable to think of a religious person as only someone who belongs to an institution which bears the aforementioned attributes? What about people who don't belong to any "religious" organization, don't appear to have a fixed religious creed, and don't have a particular religious label that can be applied to them? And what about those who call themselves atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, undecided, non-religious, etc.? Do they have a religion?
I say that they do all have a religion. And I think they are all equally devout in their respective religions. It seems obvious to me that the essence of religion does not consist in externals, it consists of beliefs. It's absurd to think that a man has no religion just because he doesn't participate in the functions of an organized institution. Religion rightly defined is the total of all the beliefs that guide a man's actions. And no one has these beliefs to a greater or lesser extent than anyone else.
So there is not, and never will be, a man without a religion. Everyone has beliefs about God, the origin of the universe and all things therein, what is right and wrong, and man's purpose and destiny. These are the things which constitute a man's religion, and his beliefs concerning these things will guide his actions. Even if a man says that he does not believe that there is a God, does not believe that we can know how the universe came into being, does not believe that there is any right and wrong, and does not believe that there is any purpose to life, he cannot say that he does not have religious beliefs because these very things are his religious beliefs.
Of course, there are those who claim that their beliefs are based only on facts and things which can be proven. And an atheistic Darwinist, for example, would say that his beliefs are not religion but science. But this is a ridiculous claim because neither the existence nor the non-existence of God can be proven through scientific methods (and doesn't need to be). And concepts of right and wrong, which everyone has, cannot be reduced to mathematical formulas. Even the theory of evolution, because it is a belief about the origin of things, is a religious belief, regardless of the fact that those who hold the belief claim that it is backed up by science.
So everyone has religion and most would claim to be tolerant of other religions. But are they? I don't know. It seems to me that most people are only religiously tolerant to the extent that they must be. In fact, I have found that even those who claim to be champions of religious toleration are themselves quite intolerant. Take, for example, the website at religioustolerance.org If you read through several of their pages, it won't be long before you notice that there is an anti-Christian tone to the site. Of course, you won't find anything denouncing phony "liberal" Christians because the people behind the site are quite obviously humanists and the liberals are really only humanists with a pseudo-Christian veneer. But you will find much criticism of what they call "conservative" Christians (i. e. professing Bible-believers).
What these people really mean when they speak of religious toleration is that they will be tolerant of any religion as long as it remains subservient to their religion, which is humanism. As long as the religion of others is kept in a little compartment where it doesn't come into conflict with the humanists' concepts of right and wrong, and they are willing to make the morality expressed in their religion yield to the moral principles of the secularists, then they will be tolerated.
This is made obvious at religioustolerance.org from the treatment of the Christian Reconstruction movement, which advocates an eventual civil institution of the capital punishments contained in the law of Moses. Of this idea they seem quite intolerant. But how can one be intolerant of a certain set of religious beliefs while simultaneously claiming to advocate religious toleration? Perhaps they would answer that they must speak against those who advocate violence toward others. But in judging the capital punishments of the biblical law to be wrong and advocating that the institution of them be opposed, they show that they believe in religious toleration only as far as it agrees with their concepts of morality.
I'm not surprised that the heathens at religioustolerance.org are intolerant of anyone who takes a dogmatic view of the law of God. As A. W. Tozer said: "the most fervent devotees of tolerance are invariably intolerant of everyone who speaks about God with certainty." And I'm in doubt as to whether the religious toleration of which they speak even exists.
8 Comments:
I think you misunderstand the concept of tolerance. Just because you tolerate something doesn't mean you have to accept or like it. I'll tolerate a crying baby on a plane because I understand the need for families to travel. It doesn't mean I like it.
I'll tolerate conservative Christians, just as I'll tolerate Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, animists, communists, skinheads and the Ku Klux Klan. It doesn't mean I have to agree with them or even like what they stand for.
And just because I tolerate conservative Christians shouldn't mean I can't be critical of them. I don't share their values and I think there is much in the way they conduct themselves to be criticized. And though I am tolerant of them, you can be damned sure I will fight from having their beliefs shoved down my throat through the political system, just as I would not try to impose my values on others. I might try to persuade them of my views, but I would never try to force them to believe as I do.
So yes, religious tolerance does exist. The United States, with its separation of church and state, is a shining example of an entire society based on the concept of religious tolerance. In fact, it is thanks to the first ammendment that religion thrives in the United States. So while I encourage you to try to persuade others of your religious convictions, remember there are many of us who will fight you if you try to force us to live our lives based on your beliefs.
Well, Angry Agnostic, you should have read the guidelines for posting comments before you did so. You would have seen that this is not a place for unbelievers to express their views. You see, while I am in doubt as to whether anyone else believes in religious toleration, I am not in doubt about myself. I know that I don't believe in it.
Since you've already posted, I'll let it stand and I'll respond to it. But don't let it happen again because your words will be removed next time.
I'll clarify my intolerance. It doesn't extend to heathen society. I believe that the church is meant to be a separate society, not a part of your society. I'm not interested in shoving my religion down your throat through the political system. In fact, I believe that Christians should not be involved in your political system.
And the only religions thriving anywhere in the U. S. are false religions, of which modern Evangelicalism is one (though it has manifested itself in many different sects). But I shouldn't expect you to recognize that.
You can have the U. S. government but you cannot have this weblog. Don't post here again.
Sorry, didn't read the guidelines. (I guess if I had made the same comments but signed it True Believer I would have been all right.) I was just looking for a thoughtful discussion on religion. So I won't visit your blog again. Looks like you've got the answers. You would think believing in an infinite, omnipotent, omniscient God would inspire awe and humility, but I guess not so much.
Please delete all my posts. You won't hear from me again. However, if you ever get a hankering for a thoughtful discussion on religion, feel free to visit my blog:
http://angry-agnostic.blogspot.com/
Everyone is welcome there.
How open-minded and tolerant of you to welcome all people to your blasphemous, porn-promoting, Christian-baiting weblog for "thoughtful discussion on religion." But since it is quite obvious that you're a model of enlightened thinking and equally obvious that an ignorant fundamentalist like me couldn't hope to add anything to the insightful commentary found there, it is probably best that I avoid your blog in the future.
Yes, AA, believing in an infinite, omnipotent, omniscient God does inspire awe and humility. But it also inspires obedience. And one of His principles which I try to obey is that of not casting my pearls before swine. Now, I can't prevent the swine from visiting. But I must do what I can to prevent them from posting lest I enter into frequent discussions with them and thereby become disobedient to the aforementioned biblical precept.
But I want you to know you will be warmly welcomed here if and when you repent of your hoggish ways, as I did.
And I think it best that I not grant your request to remove your posts, as they might be useful to me in that I can point to them as an example of what I won't tolerate on this weblog. But be advised that any further posts by you are likely to be removed.
Stuart:
How does what you said to AA reflect your quotation of Mr. Pink: “If it be true that 'Blessed are the peacemakers,' it necessarily follows that cursed are the peacebreakers. Then let us be diligently on our guard against ... a quarrelsome spirit: the things of God are too sacred for wrangling..?”
G-bert
As far as I recall, Pink was talking about professing Christians needlessly quarreling over doctrinal points and church matters. That has nothing to do with what I said to AA. In his case, I was rebuking an unbeliever and telling him to get lost, which I would not have needed to do if he had read the guidelines for posting comments.
I want peace but when a blasphemous, pornography-loving, Christian-taunting heathen (read his weblog)starts interfering in the affairs of this Christian, then he gets some harsh words.
I am most humbled before God when I think how He transforms my depraved nature into something more Christ-like. It is liberating to be possessed by the Truth, to have the opportunity to share it with others, and not have any responsibility about their response to it. If AA's heart is hardened to the things of God, things such as whether he reads posting rules are pretty trivial in the eternal sense.
Angry Agnostic, you make a good point about the ability of people of different religious or no religious thinking to live together in relative peace here in the United States. I think this election is a good example of how tensions caused by differences can be properly worked through; one "round" over, many more to go. You can fight as much as you like in the political process. People who believe as Stuart can live as separately as they choose to be.
I thank God that He has separated my mind and spirit from the things of this world, but has physically placed me here to be salt and light. He is truly all powerful and can take someone in the past like Paul -- or perhaps in the future like Angry Agnostic -- and transform them completely.
G-bert
Yes, G-bert, God can transform someone like AA. No one knows that truth better than I, who was an atheist for thirty-seven years and did much evil during those years.
But don't fall into the error of today's effeminate pseudo-Christianity which equates loving sinners with accepting them while they remain in sin. And understand that Jesus was not like Fred Rogers from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and neither am I. Angry atheists, happy heathens, and ambivalent agnostics will not be welcome to post in here until they have a repentant attitude. And if I have to fashion a whip and overthrow their tables in order to drive them out of my blog, I will do so.
And while it's true that "You can fight as much as you like in the political process," it's also true that one would be very hard pressed to find biblical justification for doing so. But then, we know that the Bible is just something to which today's Heathengelicals only give lip service, or else they go to it secondarily in order to draw proof texts from it to justify what they already intended to do.
But the Christian mission is not to "engage the culture," as is the common maxim in modern Evangelicalism. It is to come out from the culture and build a separate society.
You're welcome to continue posting here, G-bert, but you must follow the rules. And one of those rules is that every poster must use a real name. I think that unless your parents were very strange people, they did not give you a name with a hyphen in it.
Post a Comment
<< Home